Thursday, February 08, 2007

The need to post...

I feel compelled to get on here and post, even though I don't have any burning, well-rounded thoughts to share. (Not that I've had any of those lately: see last few posts!) I guess I'll just free write to make sure my blog doesn't feel ignored...

I feel a lot of stress right now because of my looming graduation date. I really want to graduate on time, and my final paper is not finished, barely started really. I think if I can carve out a little time soon, I will feel loads better. Here's hoping I can do that.

Work is both really good and not really good. Some days I think, "Yes, managing a store is the next thing I want to do! I enjoy these people." Other days, I think, "Oh my word, there is no way I can manage these people! People are so...complex and troubling. Fun, some days, but a lot of trouble other days. How will I ever manage them and keep my composure?" So I go back and forth with staying here in management training.

Class was really good last night. I'm in a survey of Christian doctrine, starting from ground zero. We hit a tangent last night, a little side note about the idea of sacramental marriage. I decided that we have one of those. And it made me smile right there in class.

I wish I knew what I wanted to do when I grow up. One of my partners at the store mentioned once that I should be a life coach. I'm not even sure what they do, but the sound of it was like hearing a favorite song that you haven't heard in a long time. How on earth do you get started at that? I'd also like to do something on radio or television. What in the world would that be? No idea. I just feel like I have a whole lot of untapped potential that needs to be used in a big and wide-spread way. (I hate seeing that in print. Perhaps I just have an unchecked ego? Yuck...) In the spirit of being honest, I won't delete the last few sentences of this free write...

And last, because I have to get off here and do some reading for grad school, a partner asked me about my faith yesterday. Right at work. He was wondering how leaving the ministry had affected it. I guess he may have been asking why I left the church (though I still attend, just don't work for them anymore). It was nothing I mind talking about, but nothing I could talk about that succinctly at work. I need to come up with a more concise answer, I guess. I wonder--do I give the same answer every time I'm asked?

So, what's on your mind today?

5 comments:

NoVA Dad said...

Being the father of TWO daughters has been on my mind a lot:-)

I am curious about your former life in the ministry; as one of the more recent discoverers of your blog, I'm not familiar with that part of your life. Can you throw out a little summary for folks like me out there, or is it something you discuss? Perhaps it will help you formulate that answer you were thinking about.

And I was intrigued by the use of the phrase "leaving church" that the person used in conversation with you. If you go back to June 27, 2006 on my blog, you'll see a review I did of Barbara Brown Taylor's most recent book, "Leaving Church." You might be interested in reading it.

- Matt

SUSAN said...

Margaret, I have an appointment with a life coach on Friday. I am looking forward to it!

Here's to figuring out the next step on the journey, and the next and the next.

Carpe Diem!
Susan

margaretm said...

Matt--Let me chew on this--maybe it will give me something to post soon! I don't mind talking about it. I will definitely check out the book, thanks for the rec.

Susan--I would love to hear about your appointment--not the specifics necessarily, but what in the world does a life coach do?!? (If I try to do this for a living, that might be a handy piece of info!)

Or, does anyone have a copy of "Life Coach Career for Dummies"?

SUSAN said...

Margaret, I'll send you some notes on the visit when I get back. Also, I'll ask Liza how one goes about becoming a "life coach".

Susan

mattl said...

I've had different people suggest life coach as something they thought I might be able to do well, guess they didn't know cynical matt as well as me.

But I just thought about the phrase "those who can, do; those who can’t, teach". Now I don't believe this, but I was thinking about what if this was they were thinking when recommending this, lol. Oops there's cynical matt again.