Friday, June 22, 2007

Self-realization...

I love being alone. On the Myers-Briggs scale, I am an "I" all the way. "Introverted" in the sense that I get energized by being alone.

That's why my new job is such a cherry. I get to sit in a very large office space. All alone. All day. Every day. Well, almost every day.

So that's why it was such a shock today to realize that maybe, just maybe, I needed a little human contact to stay, well...sane.

It's not that I'm talking to myself (I am) or singing to myself (I am) or calling myself names (I'm doing that, too). I realized today that void of human contact, I am starting to be concerned, I would say overly concerned, that others don't like me. HA! No one even knows me! I talk to people via email for all of two or three lines at a time, and I'm concerned that they don't like me? I've even started adding smiley faces to my emails to make sure my tone sounds cheery.

Seriously, I had no idea this would happen.

So I tried to snap myself out of it today with a few "get over its" and "get a lifes." Hopefully acknowledging that I have a "problem" is half the battle.

And here I though being alone would be good for me! :)

6 comments:

Ampersand said...

Sadly, or maybe happily for you, I can really relate to this :).

margaretm said...

Do you relate job-wise? Sitting alone most of the day? I'd love to hear more.

Have you found any remedy, anything that helps?

Ampersand said...

I work alone at our store. I wait on customers, but I run the store alone.

It is at strange feeling to be alone with people in and out all day.

Sometimes it gets really quiet in the store too.

So I use the internet to interact with friends and sometimes that can contribute to the isolation, since it is so hard to get the human connection and feedback via blogs or email.

And I am an introvert too, I like my time alone, but too much of it can still be hard.

Ampersand said...

Oh, as for what to do about it, I think planning regular social outings with friends helps balance things. Maybe meet friends for lunch? Sometimes my dh comes to our store for lunch and that helps.

DGH said...

I think the smiley face at the end of this blog post is classic! heh ;)

The Voice in the Desert said...

Hey Margaret! It's Sean! Just wanted to drop a line and leave you with my blog addy. I just posted a huge update so be sure to leave me your input!

I hope things at work get a little less lonely for ya. I really miss working with you!