Monday, December 18, 2006

Church thoughts...


I had a great conversation today with a guy at work. We are in similar positions in the company, and have similar backgrounds as well--lots of church.

As we talked about our struggles to be part of the organized religion that had once been such a prominent part of our lives, I found myself talking again about what church could be...

Instead of a big black hole where you are compelled to throw your money, time and talents, I wish it were a launch pad to help you be a better family member and a better employee. Some people may say "that's what it is!" But this is not my experience right now.

I feel like the church wants me there more and more (which makes me want to be there less and less, despite the fact I still like a few people there). I want to be able to be more and more "present" at home and the office. That's where I can actually make a difference...rather than just serve as a pretty ornament in a museum with the name of an organized religion on the door.

I also surprised myself as I spoke about a passion for learning to harness the power of the media to change people's lives. I'm not talking about writing my own tv show or making my own film, necessarily. I'm just talking about helping people talk about all of the amazing, moving media that is being produced every day--the good, bad and the ugly. Anything that moves us or makes us feel anything could be used as a launch pad for dialogue about life.

And that--for myself--is a lot more interesting than anything else going on in organized religion.

Anyone else want to pull up the couch and watch a movie?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey, you're back up and running! I will add you to my blogroll and make you a regular daily read. :) Glad to see your blog and I noticed you changed the template, you blogger-extraordinaire!

Hey, can you guess where I'm sitting right now? That's right. X - writing my final for Buchanan. I want to be DONE!!!

Are you finished yet? And Jon is totally in for the movie and dinner with you and Robbie.
Julie

margaretm said...

Yes! I am really going to try and commit to my blog. You inspire me--I read yours all the time. I would be thrilled to be added to your blogroll! (More impetus to get myself writing and keep up to date!)

I love how much stuff you got done WHILE you were writing your final. 8-)

I am done--we actually finished a week early. (A total surprise!)

Movie and dinner--definitely!